Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Spring Gardening


I love spring, the temperature is perfect, the flowers are beautiful, everyone is happy to be outside again. The only down side is that after the last frost, then it is gardening time. As much as I love spring, I HATE gardening. I try to make my flower beds as low maintenance as possible and I am pretty much there. Unfortunately, you can't do the same with a vegetable garden. I used to have visions of my own farmer's market in my back yard, but after 17 years of weed choked squares of dirt, I have pretty much decided that all our our produce will come from the grocery store. Since the prophet did tell us and Isaac may still like to see stuff grow (weeds or otherwise), we have reserved a small square on the side of the house for 4 rows of plants.


Last Saturday the scouts went around and sold and delivered mulch. Tom buys it every year. You can dig and dig in our garden and never actually make it down to dirt. I try to tell him to buy less or maybe skip a year but every year he just tells them to pull the dump truck up to our yard. Anyway, now that the mulch is down we can plant. Isaac was a big helper and put the seeds in the ground while Tom dug the holes. We had 5 packets of seeds.

If there are 5 seed packets, then why are there only 4 rows of plants you may ask? Well, see, while Tom was digging with his back turned, Isaac managed to plant an entire package of zucchini - somewhere. The seed packet was ripped open and there weren't any seeds on the grass. Isaac was less than helpful when asked where the seeds went. He pointed to a place in the dirt but when we tried to dig them up, they weren't there. So, our garden this year will be beans, peas, lettuce, squash and maybe zucchini. The last picture is Isaac playing on the slide after he watered the seeds (and himself).

No comments: