Friday, December 10, 2010

Unintended Consequences


My little guys are finally old enough to know what they want, but not always able to get it themselves. I am constantly being interrupted all day long by one or the other asking for a gink (drink). Of which they usually take one sip and then give me back the cup. Hmm, I thought. This is really annoying. I then noticed that the refrigerator's water dispenser was at their height, so they could get their own water. I put a stack of plastic cups on a shelf just across from the fridge and showed them how to get their own drinks as well as to just put the cup on the counter when they were done. They seemed to get the idea and were really excited to be able to do it themselves. Great, problem solved. I congratulated myself on thinking up a mutually beneficial solution.
All was well for the first week or so, then I discovered little areas of weirdness throughout the house. For example, the sugar was dried up in large, crusty lumps. There were little, hard balls in the flour. I couldn't figure it out. Geez, I'm never getting the Kroger sugar or flour again, what poor quality. (DUH)
I finally caught on when I went to get a mixing bowl and saw that it was full of water.
The case was closed when Nick was discovered in the act of dumping his glass of water on the floor in front of the pantry and reaching for the pantry doors to get to the sugar. So, it seems that I have solved one problem, only to have several more crop up.

No comments: