Toms blog edition:
Corrupting the children… check. Teaching socially unacceptable behaviors… check.
It has been a good day. I think I
can rest easy tonight.
1 hour earlier. Isaac,
Nicholas and I sat down to play a serious game of competition for world domination. This was no mamby-pamby “gentlemen’s” game. This was WAR and they were out for
blood. By entering the competition, I
was set to risk everything with humiliations galore but if I win… then I can
come away with… nothing? Let’s face it, soundly defeating a 3 yr old
in head to head competition isn’t the sort of thing you can brag about to your “drinkin”
buddies. At the same time a sound trouncing of my
opponents would surely brighten my day.
So it was that I said “Pick a game, any game.” Don’t break the Ice was chosen over the likes
of Risk, Stratego, Chess or even Monopoly.
The game progressed at an alarmingly fast pace. Tap, Tap, Tap, clink. Unexpectedly, it was my turn and the only
move would drop the remaining pieces including the plastic red skater with that
mocking smile. I had been daydreaming
about that which all teenage boys fanaticize.
That’s right… a Ginourmous shredded
beef, extra cheese, smothered burrito. I nonchalantly took my turn with the vain hope
that my “non-win” would be a non-event. I,
however, had non-luck. Immediately, the
fingers pointed and a chorus exploded with delight pronouncing my defeat. “Woozer, Woozer, you are the big WOOZER!”
I was instantly transported back to an unfortunate childhood
experience where I had my first non-win and tasted yet again the bitter herbs
of dire rejection. WAIT… I am a mature
adult beyond the need for validation of toddlers whimsical adulation! So I “pinched” myself to snap back to present
day reality. (Actually, I find that
plucking nose hairs works so much better than pinching oneself) I took the moral high road to crushing defeat
and… declared the game invalid, on a
technicality and ordered up a rematch. Yeah
baby, redemption is going to crush you.
Although there is proof to the contrary, my story is that I
crushed my barely potty trained opponents.
In fact, my brain recoiled slightly when I was crowned the WOOZER
again. But, as it turns out, we were
suddenly playing the best 2 out of 3. “WOOZER,
WOOZER, you’re the big WOOZER”. How
about the best 3 of 5? And so it went game
after game, well into the evening.
Although I sneaked a few wins, I was by far the biggest WOOZER. As the night wore on and sleep threatened to
overtake them, I finally had to stop the pain and concede… a draw.
As I coaxed the contented contenders from cushy couch
cushions and into comfy California king cotton, I reflected on their exuberance
and joy at beating their dad and naming him the big Woozer. I contemplated the happiness derived from
competing, playing and interacting in a world with simplified rules and
objectives. I evaluated the intrinsic
messages of competition displayed by the socially unacceptable practice of gloating
over a crushing victory. Perhaps I was corrupting
their innocence by encouraging their sense of competition. Possibly, non-winning is not that big of a
deal. Maybe it is in reality “Just a
game.” The only thing I am sure is that
I have been crowned king of the Woozers, although I am not sure exactly what is
a “Woozer.” Maybe my drinkin buddies can
tell me…
King Woozer












No comments:
Post a Comment