I am just getting around to it now but FINALLY, Taylor came home from his mission! I was the most excited parent you have ever seen at the airport. In preparation I made everyone tie yellow ribbons on all the trees and bushed in our yard. I had tons of resistance because no one had ever heard the song "Tie a Yellow Ribbon", including our military neighbor. She thought that yellow ribbons were only for military. Pooh on her, she has never had a missionary! Thank goodness for You Tube. I made them all watch the video so they now have some adequate cultural currency. I ignored all the eye rolls and we got the yard appropriately decorated.
We made a big sign and then waited for him at the security exit. There were tears all around as he ran down the aisle and grabbed us all into a big hug. The little boys were happy to miss morning school to go to the airport.
His homecoming was that Sunday as we had vacation planned for the next week. He had some trouble speaking English during the talk as well as to the various people we had to interact with to get him a cell phone, new clothes and new shoes. It was very cute and mostly awesome how well he has learned the language. Everyone in the ward brought him some oreos. I guess they all know how much he likes them and missed them. That was very thoughtful.
Everyone keeps asking if he is a little bit of a zealot at home. Not really, thank goodness, since he doesn't really come from an ultra orthodox family. There are some weird ideosyncracies that he has picked up, though. Check it out:
It's all good! We love him and love having him home. I am so proud that he served an honorable mission and is such a great example for his younger brothers.
1 comment:
What a wonderful post! I'm so happy that he's home safe and sound. He looks great and the Rubik's cube is awesome! Welcome Home Taylor!!
Post a Comment