Thursday, August 31, 2017

August 2017

We had a few cool things going on this August after our vacation.

1.  We got to visit uncle Jeff in Nashville to see the eclipse.  His apartment was right on the line of totality and he was gracious enough to host our large group so we didn't have to pay $400 for a night of hotel at the Best Western (that is not an exaggeration).  I have been planning for this eclipse for the past 4 months because I wanted to be sure we were completely ready.  We have one awesome telescope that already had a solar filter but we have also acquired 2 more, slightly less awesome telescopes that needed solar filters.  When I went online to buy them (4 months prior to the event), the premade filters were sold out.  Hmm, who knew geeks could plan so far ahead... Anyway, all that was left was filter paper, so I had to buy the filter paper and then print out instructions on how to make your own filter for a telescope.  I left it laying around near Tom's desk and he took the hint.  When I came home from work one night he had put together both filters.  I bought our eclipse glasses before NASA put out recommendations for approved companies.  Of course I just bought the cheapest ones off of Amazon so I was worried that we would all go blind if we used them so I had to buy some more.  It was a good thing I ended up buying so many extra because Miriya and her boyfriend came along with us and I had to send a pair to Taylor because he decided to go to Idaho at the last minute and couldn't find any glasses in Utah.  Luckily, the filter paper I bought for our homemade telescope filters was on the approved list, whew!


I ended up having the prior 5 days off of work and the boys had not started school yet, so we took a little side trip to Memphis and checked out Graceland as well as the hotel where Martin Luther King Jr was assassinated.  We also ate some yummy BBQ and donuts.

This was was wall of the yummiest BBQ place in Memphis
Where MLK was shot
Jeff took us up to the roof of his apartment building for the big event and we first set up our portable shade.  It is still 95 degrees in Nashville so the shade was definitely necessary.  We then proceeded to set up all 3 telescopes and hand out the solar glasses.  We started at 8AM to ensure we could claim our prime viewing space.  I am sure Jeff thought we were crazy, but he played along anyway.  We played games, ate snacks and watched the people on the ground gather together along the riverfront.  Several people from the building came up to the roof.  We shared our telescopes with them.  It was pretty cool to watch the moon cover up the sun little by little.  You could also see the sun spots in the telescopes.  It was a completely clear day until about 1pm.  Totality was around 1:30.  At about 1:29 a huge cloud came over the sun.  It opened for about 30 seconds during totality so we did get to see the awesome ring as well as the shadow bands on the ground but then the cloud covered it back up.  It was still very dark, dusk really, and the cicadas stopped humming and the street lights came on.  We were thrilled even though we got cheated out of 90 seconds.

The drive home was terrible.  It is normally a 5 hour drive to Nashville from our house.  It took 11 hours to get home.  Uggg, if I hadn't had to work the next day, we would have tried to find a hotel for the night.  We get to try for totality again in 7 years, from our own house this time.  Everyone is invited over for an eclipse 2024 party as our house will be in the path of totality this time!


You can see the menacing cloud here.  Taylor's shots were clear.  Lucky guy!
2.  School started.  Nick is in 3rd grade this year and Isaac is in 5th grade.  I can't believe they are getting so big.  I call them my little boys at work and another doctor pointed out that they really weren't that little anymore.  True, but they will always be MY little boys!


3.  Isaac and Nick took a sewing class over the summer.  No, I am not trying to emasculate my boys.  A lady at church was offering it and the boys seemed interested and we didn't have anything else going then and I was REALLY tired of bored kids fighting with each other and hey, sewing is a useful skill that everyone needs to learn, so I signed them up.  They learned how to sew on a button, simple embroidery and how to run a sewing machine.  They came home with a small rice bag that you put in the microwave to warm up as a hot pack that they had made. Isaac was thrilled.   Afterwards he begged me to show him how to make a cloak that he can wear to the Renaissance Festival this year.  So we went to the fabric store, found an easy pattern and some cheap fabric.  I helped him to lay out the pattern and taught him how to follow the guide sheet.  We did have some unpicking to do, but that is part of sewing, right?  At the end he made himself a pretty nifty black cloak with silver satin lining.  He is so proud, and so am I!


1 comment:

bamatamb said...

That Dang cloud! I'm glad you got at least 30 seconds though. I think we are eclipse chasers now...your house in 7 years sounds awesome! ;)

Well done, Isaac, on your cloak! That is impressive!