Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Random Thoughts continued

4. I now know why I am not called to be in Young Womens. Ever since Miriya turned 12 and started Young Womens I have desperately wanted to be in the organization with her. I had visions of great mother and daughter bonding experiences as we went to girls camp, youth conference and temple trips. Alas, I have never been called to such a position. Miriya is now 15 and I STILL am waiting for that proverbial calling. There is a lady in our ward that just basically goes after whatever calling she wants. For example, she has 2 scouts and she was unhappy with the way the current scout leaders were organizing things. She "helped out" so frequently and in a very proactive way to the point where they called her to be the scout records keeper. This has allowed her to have a hand in planning all of the scouting activities. WOW, I said to myself. Maybe I just need to do some more advertising. So, taking a page out of her book, I emailed the YW president. The young women are started to get ready for camp, this includes precamp certification a la first aid. I offered my services to teach all of the young women first aid. They said sure thing and then promptly asked 2 more people to come and help out. Well, OK, I can still work with that. So last night was the big night. I had 20 minutes to teach the young women about controlling hemorrhage, treating shock, treating burns and how to recognize and treat a broken bone. Seems like a lot of stuff for 20 minutes, right? Especially since I REALLY wanted to do some hands on practice. Well, we will just hurry through, I thought to myself. Most of the girls have had this stuff if they have gone to previous camps. Well, as for my 20 minutes, it breaks down like this:
5 minutes - girls come in and quiet down
5 minutes - leaders of girls make innane jokes that have nothing to do with the subject and gets the girls off topic.
5 minutes - quick overview of hemorrhage highlights
5 minutes - practice for the 1 girl in the group who is not chasing a younger sibling around the room while their mother or father is elsewhere

Needless to say it was a very frustrating experience overall. I now know that Heavenly Father has not called me to young womens because I do not have the patience to deal with lazy parents who pawn off their offspring on their kids who should be learning important stuff or making friends with people who share their same values on activity night. I also do not want to joke with the girls and change the subject when they should be learning more useful things than one liners from movies. I think it is only courteous to pay attention to a visitor who had prepared to teach 4 subjects in 20 minutes. 4 subjects in 20 minutes would keep even the most ADHD person busy. But then maybe first aid is only important for scouts. Maybe it is better for YW to learn about taking cookies to inactives, makeup tips and good hair do habits. All activities Miriya has participated in over the last 6 months. I guess that is one reason the YW always need a priesthood holder when they go to camp. Because none of the women will ever be able to stop an arterial bleed with a tube of mascara.

No comments: