Miriya and Taylor are right now, this very second, on their way to Utah, all alone. They are going out this week to participate in EFY at the University of Utah. They will then have a few days to visit Grandma Bev and cousins before a family reunion when we will join them with the babies. According to the airlines, Miriya, at the age of 16, is no longer considered a minor. She can travel alone without the extra unaccompanied minor fee that the airline usually tacks on to children traveling alone. At the time that we booked the ticket this seemed like wonderful boon because not only would we avoid the fee for Miriya, she could accompany Taylor, so we would avoid the fee for him as well. Now that the travel day is actually here I am wondering what we were thinking. For that extra $100 per ticket an airline employee personally accompanies your children through the airport to ensure they do not get lost along the way. Miriya and Taylor will have a change of plane in Dallas. I am thinking of all the things that could go wrong. All the travel mayhem that has actually happened to me or that could possibly happen to my children, alone in Dallas and that extra fee is seeming like a good idea after all.
Amazingly, Tom is unconcerned. I am pacing and nauseated with worry while Tom is calm, cool and sleeping. "They have been through plenty of airports. They know how to problem solve." All true but not very comforting considering we had to remind Miriya to take her ID as she was walking out the door. I know there won't be a minute of sleep for me until I get the call from Grandma Bev that they are safe in Salt Lake City and are no longer unaccompanied minors.
Sunday, July 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












No comments:
Post a Comment