

Over the past 2 weeks school as has started for my kids. This year, Isaac will be going to preschool twice a week and Nicholas once per week. When I was a kid, I always looked forward to the end of summer and a return to a routine. Summer was fun, but by the end I missed my classes and my friends. Sorry to say, however, my children do not feel the same way that I did. Miriya and Taylor look forward to starting school with trepidation bordering on dread. Miriya more so than Taylor. They value their free time and evidently don't miss their friends as much as I did. Where school shopping was a rite of August, my kids couldn't care less. Need school supplies so that you are ready on the first day? No way, Mom. I don't want to think about that right now. Want to call your friends and discuss your class schedules? This always earns blank stares from both. Rather than make them do these things like I have in the past, I just let them do it their way this year. The first day they went to school with nothing in their backpacks and old, ratty clothes. They met up with friends in and out of classes and they made do without lunch money. Well, how was school was my question on the second day. Well...I really need paper and pencils and binders and....We need to go RIGHT NOW and get them. Also, I guess I could use 2 pairs of pants, I think I have grown out of my old ones. Dad, here is the checkbook, could I please have some lunch money?

I am so glad to find that behind the leisurely attitude, they really do want to do well at school and are able to finally figure out what they need rather than have me tell them. I am also glad that they are beginning to take pride in their appearance and can fix their wardrobe problems without me hovering over them. It's been a long hard road but I think we are getting to where they are going to be able to take care of themselves. Now that I think about it, I am both glad and sad.

1 comment:
So I have five more years to go before anyone around here cares if their clothes match, are clean, and hole-less?
Heaven help us!
Post a Comment