Thursday, July 28, 2011

Just Couldn't Make It

Remember in my last post how Tom was in Kuwait again and we were hoping nothing dreadful happened while he was gone? Well, we were almost there, 2 days until he comes home when the delicate peace was shattered. Last night Taylor came into my room complaining of scrotal pain. He was seriously in pain. I took a look. Not what Taylor or I really wanted to do, but you have look at the problem, right? I recognized what was wrong and it is truly an emergency. I had to pack him up and take him to the children's hospital where he was quickly rushed to the operating room. From onset of pain to out of the OR was 5 hours. Pretty good, hopefully there won't be any complications, other than my car that is filled with vomit. They are doing road construction everywhere so there was no place to pull off in the 2 seconds that Taylor gave me before he tossed his dinner. My mom always told us that she was a puke target, I secretly didn't believe her, but now that I am a mom, I am also a puke target, even for the 15 year old. In the ED, there were some residents that I work with at my hospital. They took pity on my puke covered clothes and brought me some scrubs to change into. I got home in time to take Miriya to her engineering camp. Unfortunately, I was scheduled to work today. Not only had I just been up all night with my sick son, he was also my babysitter and was in no condition to chase 2 crazy little boys. Our group has a call schedule for just such emergencies. Out of the nearly 4 years I have been working with this group I have only been called in once but as luck would have it (can we really call any of this lucky?) the person that I went in for was the person that was on call today. Payback time! Taylor is home from the hospital and gingerly tending his stitches. I will make up my sleep deprivation tonight and Miriya will be able to watch the boys for my shift tomorrow. I think it has all calmed down now, we are back in equilibrium. I am so ready for Tom to come home.

2 comments:

bamatamb said...

I'm so sorry! That sounds crazy. I hope Taylor feels better soon!

Johanna said...

I'm so sorry. Poor Taylor. Poor mom. Too bad Tom always misses the fun stuff.