Monday, August 12, 2013

Triathlons, Not Me

We have some friends that are very healthy.  They run and go to the gym and eat salads.  They have been trying to get us to join them in a triathlon for some time.  Tom and I finally agreed to do one last May.  I trained and trained because I didn't want to embarrass myself by coming in way behind everyone else.  Tom didn't train so much.   The triathlon came and we both did OK.  It was 54 degrees and I REALLY hate the cold so I took a lot of time changing out of my swimsuit into my biking/running clothes.  Even with all that extra time I did not come in last which was my goal although Tom and our friends beat me. Overall time: 1:31:52. Unfortunately, Tom messed up his knee on the 3 mile run and was limping for about a month afterwards.  We had signed up for another triathlon in June but because of his injured knee Tom couldn't run it so Taylor took his place.  Taylor and I did this one together.  It was so much fun to do this with him even though he kicked my butt, even without training. (It's so unfair)  Overall time 1:10:47   Finally, in August, we signed up the whole family (except Isaac and Nick) to do the last one of the year.  I trained hard, Tom and Taylor hardly did anything and Miriya, in Idaho, decided that walking around campus was enough training for her.  At the last minute Tom's brother Jeff and his friend Noelle joined us as well.  I actually came in 4th overall for women.  Tom and I basically had the same time as we ran together.  He let me win by a few seconds at the very end.  Lucky for me, Taylor had to ride his mountain bike as Tom rode the road bike.  This added on a lot of time for Taylor so I beat him easily.  Miriya came in last of the group but at least she finished.  Overall time 1:06:12. I am kind of liking this triathlon thing. It is so much fun to actually be able to measure your fitness progress and to have a goal to work towards.  Plus running with the family was actually a lot of fun.  They have events for little kids, so next year Isaac and Nick should be joining us as well.  Our friends are trying to get me to move up from the sprint class to the intermediate distance.  I am thinking about it, we will see. 

I think every family has a visit from the "Not Me" ghost from time to time.  We had a visit yesterday.  Before church it is so crazy trying to get everyone dressed and out the door in time for 9AM church that is 30 minutes away.  After ironing the little boy's shirts I unplugged the iron and we ran off to church leaving the iron out sitting on the ironing board.  After getting home from church and changing clothes, Tom was cooking dinner when he smelled something that definitely did NOT smell like dinner.  He ran around to investigate and this is what he found:

The iron was plugged in across the room and laying face down on the runner.  Hmmm, I know I didn't leave the iron plugged in, plus I would not have plugged it into that plug.  Isaac was outside and Taylor was in his room.  The only person running around downstairs was Nick.  When asked about it, he denied everything.  I guess it was that Not Me ghost again...

No comments: