In the morning, everyone dressed up in their
winter clothes because there was a HUGE snowstorm! I had forgotten my snowboots
so Isaac and his Dad carried me around in the backpack so I would stay warm and
dry.
The next activity did not start for a while so
we all went to the lodge to warm up and have hot chocolate. I love sipping hot
chocolate in front of the fire.
The next activity was my favorite. We got to go
inside a real cave! There weren't any lights or pathways so we had to bring
lights on our heads and clothes that can get dirty. We had to crawl on the
floor in a space about 2 feet tall in order to get to the middle of the cave, I
bet Isaac was glad he had his helmet on! Isaac's Dad kept me in his backpack so
I managed to stay nice and clean but I did bump into the ceiling a few times.
In the middle of the cave we saw some cool cave formations. I learned about
stalactites and stalagmites. I also saw some flowstone. There were lots of
holes to crawl in and explore. I also saw some very small bats. We left them
alone because they were hibernating and it could kill them if we wake them up.
After the cave we had to clean off our feet and
helmets and bag up our dirty clothes in order to not spread white nose
syndrome. This is a fungal disease that is killing the bats in Ohio. I loved
finding bats in this cave and the spaces inside the cave were so small that the
bats were easy to see up close. It makes me sad that they are dying.
| Just above my head is a small bat! |
The next cave we went in had a trail and
electric lights. It was very bright and easy to see all the formations but I
kind of missed looking at everything with a flashlight and being able to crawl
around wherever we wanted. This cave did not have any bats. Too bad, I liked
trying to find them in the other cave.
It was a long day of exploration and I was very
tired at the end. We all went back to the hotel room and after dinner we went
to bed. I went right to sleep, and slept the dreamless sleep of a true
adventurer.












1 comment:
That sounds like a really fun weekend! Cuddles was lucky to tag along! :)
Post a Comment