Monday, July 6, 2015

July 2015

We went glamping (glamour camping as our neighbor calls it) last week in a cabin at Hueston Woods, a state park about 1 hour from our house.  It was marred by Isaac kissing a rock and breaking off his front upper tooth.  Isaac was surprisingly upset about the whole thing.  He was afraid that his good looks would be forever marred.  I couldn't believe that he even thought about that at his age.  Since when are young boys worried about their looks?  I called the dentist the next morning and they got him in that day.  Isaac told the dentist that his tooth hurt.  I didn't think it actually hurt as it had barely broken through the dentin.  I wanted to tell him that if he told the dentist it was painful then she would numb the tooth with a shot.  I am pretty sure he didn't realize what was about to happen when the dentist told the assistant to get out the lidocaine.  Luckily, the dentist really looked at the tooth before she got started and realized, as I did, that it probably really didn't hurt.  She started with gently drilling to rough up the surface and Isaac didn't even flinch so she just completed the procedure without the numbing medicine.  I am thrilled with the result.  It looks good as new.  More importantly, Isaac is happy about his good looks restored.  The dentist did say that the filling was fragile because of the way it is set on the tooth and it will likely require replacement many times.  OK, thanks for the warning.  I would rather replace the filling than have an 8 year old with a root canal.  

This is before the repair.  I don't have an after picture.  I will add it later
We did kayak and ride our bikes while glamping.  We paddled all around the lake and went up several tributaries that feed the lake.  Isaac is becoming a good little paddler.  Nick, on the other hand, is a little bit lazy.  I think he may have a touch of last child syndrome.  If anything is too hard for that kid he just waits until someone else finishes the job for him.  I realized this when I was thinking about his swimming.  That kid has been on the junior swim team for 3 years now.  Kids younger than him have moved up into Isaac's swimming group.  He is just content to sit back and let his own personal coach drag him around in the water and give him chocolate at the end of the practice.  He knows how to work the system.  I am going to have to think about ways to motivate that kid.  He is his own worst enemy.  Isaac is doing great at swimming and I think we are going to sign him up for short course in the fall with Coffman YMCA.  This is the swim team that Miriya and Taylor participated in when we first moved to Ohio.    

Miriya is leaving for Ghana this Saturday.  The anti malaria prescription given by the travel medicine doctor was too expensive for her so she asked us to buy it.  It is kind of convenient to be able to write my own scripts.  




We are waiting for it to come into the pharmacy then we will send it to her, along with Tom's international phone, so she can call us while there.  I am nervous for her but excited too.  Kind of like when Taylor left to go on his international trip all alone.  I am sure she is going to have a great experience just like Taylor.

Work is amazingly crazy.  It is high trauma season and I am way busy at work.  I can't remember a trauma season quite as busy as this one has been.  We get a gunshot wound at least every other day if not daily.  We were joking with the trauma service that we could put up a sign over the trauma bay saying X days since last gunshot wound and the x would never get more than 1.  We had a guy that was in a car accident where his car ran into a picket fence.  He was ejected and was impaled by two fence posts.  Wear your seatbelt!  The trauma surgeon pulled out one post while in the trauma bay in the ER.  Everyone ran around like chickens because he was then bleeding like stink.  Luckily they whisked him off to the OR where the other one was surgically removed.  Last I heard he was still alive. 

1 comment:

bamatamb said...

Good luck to Miriya! That is sooo exciting for her. I hope she has a great time and doesn't get malaria! :)