Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Braces


Sometimes kids just have to learn things the hard way. Miriya has been taking some lessons recently from the school of hard knocks. For example, she has been in braces for the past 18 months. On her last appointment her orthodontist told her that all she needed was 4 more weeks of wearing her elastics and then she would be able to get her braces off. Well, over the next 4 weeks wouldn't you think that she would wear her elastics? After all, why would you want to prolong those braces any longer than you have to? Elastics are not like headgear, they are pretty innocuous, no one at school is going to make fun of you because you have them on. They don't make movies of girls in elastics like they do about girls in headgear. Anyway, I reminded her about her elastics for the first few days, but after the 80th eye rolling episode I just kept my mouth shut. "Oh mom, it's going to be fine. Stop nagging me." So I did. Do you think that she wore her elastics? Well, she would say yes, but me and more importantly, the orthodontist said, "NO!" I'm sorry Miriya, but you will have to keep your braces for another month. I hope you wear your elastics a little better than you did this past month. When I picked Miriya up from her appt it was all I could do not to shout, "I told you so." But I managed to restrain myself. She did admit that she was a little mad at herself. Here is a picture of Miriya with her new haircut and with her braces. Hopefully next month the picture will be with her braces off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't tell Miriya, but once I got tried wearing my braces I tore them off with a little help from a pair of needle nose liers