Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Birthday bamboozle

Well it was my 37th birthday in January. We have another couple in our ward that we like to go out to dinner, camping, picnicking etc with. For my birthday they took us to a comedy club. I had never been to a comedy club before so I was pretty excited about it. Now let me give you some background. The guy that we went with is a comedian/ventriloquist/juggler for his profession. He also works a few hours at the air force base as a civilian contractor during the slow times in between his shows. He was super excited about the act at the comedy club because it was a well known ventriloquist that was performing. Since he was so excited he bought the tickets way far in advace to make sure that we would get a good seat. This was the first outing Tom and I had taken alone since Nick was born. We put Isaac to bed, fed and rocked Nick and then left Taylor a bottle and Tom's cell phone number. When we got to the comedy club we really did have good seats, right next to the stage, just below the microphone. Yup, front and center. Just after the guy took to the stage and brought out his first puppet, an extremely old man that kept ogling me, I began to worry that these were not such good seats after all. During the entire act he used me for all of his jokes. For the final sequence he had me get up on stage to participate in a joke contest against 2 other puppets. As I was up in front of everyone wracking my brains to remember a good joke, the other puppets took their turns. Their jokes were pretty lame, unfortunately, the only jokes that I could remember were the equally lame knock, knock jokes that Taylor tells. I was really starting to sweat as my turn came closer but then the actor put a mask and a hat on me, hooked my arms up to sticks and he had me tell his jokes. This was actually much preferable to the supremely lame jokes that I had prepared. Everyone was rolling on the floor with laughter, especially Tom. Luckily with the mask on no one could see my red face. I got a polaroid picture of the escapade and a free DVD of the comedian's act. The whole event was actually quite fun and I suppose I would go to the comedy club again, but maybe wait a while to buy the tickets so we don't get the "good" seats.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ha ha! That is awesome.