Monday, April 11, 2011

Let's Go Fly a Kite



Yesterday it was 84 degrees and a little bit windy. After church we decided to go on a picnic and try to fly some kites. We ate our first grilled hamburgers of the season while the kids went down the nearby slides. We then went to the big, open soccer field and tried to get our kites into the air. I had bought some small "pocket" kites that come in a zippered pouch and attach to backpacks with a keychain ring. These kites were awesome and stayed in the air no matter what you did. Isaac and Nick held these kites for an hour and were able to make them do loop de loops and dives and other crazy tricks. Amazingly, no one let go of the kite and let it fly away.

Taylor brought out his box kite that we got in China Town several years ago. It is a decoration in his room and I don't think it was really meant to be flown but it was plenty windy so we gave it a try. As long as the wind was strong it stayed in the air, but if the wind was gusty then it would fall down in a squealing dive. To get it back in the air all you had to do was give it a tug during a good gust and it would lift back up in the air, sometimes someone needed to pull it out the the ground as it got stuck when it hit. I had just pulled the kite free and was turning to help Isaac with his kite when Taylor's kite zoomed back to the ground with a bullseye right on Isaac. I would have thought it only possible on a cartoon if I hadn't seen it myself. Isaac was freaked out but recovered well. It did leave a small bruise on his head as proof of contact. What a lucky shot!

1 comment:

Johanna said...

I hope that in true Terry tradition you waited until a tornado passed through before you went kite flying.
If all your kites came home in one piece you know it wasn't windy enough.