
Yesterday we decided to go on an all day bike excursion. We found a beautiful bike trail 1 hour away that rode to an ancient Indian burial ground and earthworks site. Perfect! Isaac is 4 years old now and getting very heavy to pull along in the bike trailer. He hasn't mastered riding his own bike yet so we got a tag-a-long bike that goes behind Tom. Since Tom is pulling Isaac, I will be pulling Nick. Now, I have a wonderful mountain bike. It has both forward and back shocks, disc brakes and big knobby tires that grip the rocks and weeds. It is perfect for a single track trail but extremely and unnecessarily heavy for paved riding. Since I will be pulling Nick, only on a paved trail, I have been arguing for a new, light and airy, road bike. For Mother's Day I got my wish, along with all the gear needed to do some serious road riding. This includes bike shorts, shirt and clip in shoes. I was thrilled.

Yesterday, we were all out riding and everything was going well until we decided to make an unexpected stop to throw some rocks over a bridge. I forgot that my feet were clipped in and I was unable to unclip them quick enough. I went over like a lead weight. Tom's response? Well, I saw you falling so I just got out of the way. Thanks for your help there. I scraped up my back and have one heck of a bruise on my thigh. I even actually used my helmet since my head hit the side of the bridge. Luckily the bike trailer is separate from the bike so Nick stayed upright. After I went over, everyone saw me stand up then went on their merry way. I was left alone to fix my bike, unclip my shoes (that had been ripped off my feet) and get Nick out of the trailer. Good thing I wasn't really hurt, who knows if I would have made it home or if the next passing biker would have had to call 911.

After the bike ride we stopped for ice cream. This always makes everything better.

1 comment:
Bryan said it only takes one or two of those and you'll be much quicker at un-clipping your shoes! (ps-thanks for the encouraging comment on my newest post...I gotta tell ya, I'm waiting excitedly for any moment for my water to break! :)
Post a Comment