Thursday, June 30, 2011

Week of Disaster

Ever have one of those weeks where nothing seems to go right? I have just had one. For me, they always occur when Tom is out of town. Tom was recently gone to Kuwait for 10 days.

First disaster: The washing machine overflowed and spilled water all over the floor in the laundry room and kitchen. This was day 1 of the business trip. It was a lake and was just inches away from the wood floors in the family room and music room when I caught it. I managed to turn off the water to the machine but there was no way to prevent the water from seeping down and soaking everything in the basement. Luckily the older kids were home and were able to help. We cleaned up the giant mess and so far there hasn't been any warping or mildew. I even fixed the washing machine by myself.

Second disaster: Our neighbor's house got struck by lightening on day 3 of the business trip. Since our house was so close we got a power surge as well. It ruined the modem and the router so I was initially without internet for a week until the cable company could come out and fix it. When the cable guy came, he hooked up a new modem but wouldn't work on the router. Not his job were his exact words, I think. Tom still had at least 7 days left to go and I was tired of being without internet so I installed the new router, by myself, and it works!

Third disaster: I am thinking that Heavenly Father really wants me to learn something, I wish I knew what it was so I could hurry up and learn it. We had another lightening storm, this time while I was at girl's camp. Tom was still gone. Taylor was home, alone, with the 2 little guys (2 days and one night then Tom would be home.) I am doing to Lord's work, right? My family will be protected, nope! During that lightening storm we had another power surge that killed off 2 computers, the wii, the receiver that coordinates all our entertainment electronics and the phone system in the house. Now we are without a phone, a decent computer and access to netflix.

Luckily, the internet still works so I can use my ipad but no pictures until we get a new computer. Needless to say, we will be making a claim on the homeowners insurance. Until then, I won't be able to upload any pictures to the blog. There is no way that I can fix this one alone. Even the kids noticed that these bad things seem to always occur when Tom is away. Thank goodness Tom is home now. I also called my Dad for some good advice on power surges. Did you know that a surge protector is only good for one surge? I know that things can always get worse but I hope that my turn is over for now.

1 comment:

bamatamb said...

What a crappy week! I am so impressed that you were able to fix so much by yourself though! I rely too much on Bryan... Hope this week is better!