Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Terrible Twos

OK, I take it all back. A few months ago I extolled the sweetness of my little 2 year old. No more. He has morphed into the biggest mess maker, independent, stubborn, brother teaser of all time. His favorite activity seems to be dumping out all of his blocks and legos and then running away. I don't mind a mess if he plays with them but he seems to just love the mess making part. I make him help clean it up, but hey, he is only 2. I am so tired of cleaning them up I have put them away for a while. His next favorite activity is screaming at the top of his lungs for no apparent reason and at random odd times. We are all eating dinner, Isaac screams. We are in sacrament meeting, Isaac screams. We are taking a walk, Isaac screams. I think he loves making Nick cry. Every time Isaac screams unexpectedly then Nick begins to cry. I haven't figured out how to toughen up a 9 month old to break this vicious cycle. We try time out which Isaac will happily sit in for 2 minutes then immediately walk over to Nick and scream again. Back to time out for you. Today, I made Isaac sit in the corner and scream at the top of his lungs for 2 minutes. He got pretty tired of that. The rest of the day was blissfully scream free. Check out the video. In case you can't understand him, he says, "Nick sad." at the end.

2 comments:

bamatamb said...

I'm so sorry about the screaming Isaac. Miles has been in that screaming stage for a while now. We are so tired of it and we don't know how to stop it either. That's what he does when he first wakes up in the morning and from his nap too. He just screams his brains out until we come to him. None of the cute little babbling in his crib that some kids do when they wake up.
I don't have any advice at all, just sympathy! :( sorry

Johanna said...

sorry, but....tee-hee.
I remember when Annika did that. Everyone would look at me like I had some sort of control over her screaming.
What can you do? Just wait it out. He'll get his comeuppance when Nick goes through that stage too. It'll drive Isaac crazy (and you too, unfortunately).