Sunday, November 1, 2009

Howl-o-ween


For Halloween this year Miriya went to Cedar Point with her friends so that left just Tom and Taylor to take the younger boys trick or treating. Tom has a black cloak that I made for him several years ago. He likes to wear it when he takes the kids around the neighborhood. Taylor tends to wait until the last minute and then run around the house trying to put a costume together. This year I offered to buy him a costume from a catolog but he said he didn't want one. So what did he do? Wait until it was 30 minutes before we were leaving and then try to put a costume together. I guess Taylor just likes to fly by the seat of his pants.


Isaac was a bumble bee and Nick was a bunny. Nevermind that they were recycled costumes from Miriya and Taylor's younger days, they were dang cute and barely even used. The boys all went out promptly at 6pm. I stayed home to hand out goodies. Unfortunately, a big fire truck came and parked right next to our corner and started handing out cracker jacks. That made everyone skip our house and run over to the fire truck. Oh well. We gave out bubbles this year and the kids seemed to really like them. It is different from the regular candy. It was super cold this year. Usually we can sit on the porch and hand out the treats but not this year. I had to really bundle up the kids, we had a really fluffy bunny and a fat bee. It was still too cold for Nick so Tom came home after visiting just a few houses. Isaac was really getting into it and was running up to the houses and calling out trick or treat. It seemed mean to bring him in early since he was having so much fun so we let him go around with Taylor and another family in the neighborhood. Just as trick or treating was wrapping up I heard the unmistakable cry of Isaac. I opened the door and found Isaac howling as he was being carried up the walk with blood dripping out of his mouth. Turns out he fell off the porch on the very last house and bonked his face. When we got him cleaned up he had a small cut on his upper lip. Unfortunately, it crossed the vermillion border. For those not in the know, that means that the laceration breaks the line of the lip and even though it is very small, it will heal crooked if it isn't sewn up. So, that means that Isaac needs stitches. Guess who got nominated for that one?


I took him down to the hospital that I work at and we were in and out in 30 minutes with 3 blue stitches in Isaac's lip. Plus, it didn't cost anything (Well, 4 years of med school and 3 years of residency.) I didn't put the stitches in but I did hold his head still. He did really well and we didn't even need to papoose him. I wish all my 2 year old patients were as easy as he was. Now he will have a small scar on his lip but good stories for future Howl - o - weens.

No comments: