Take a look at the picture, Miriya is so proud. After a few hours of studying the driver's handbook she was able to go down and pass the written exam. I admit I was worried when I found the book underneath a pile of papers that hadn't been moved since Halloween. I was pretty sure she hadn't been studying, but turns out she knew enough to pass the exam.
It was a little touch and go when we got down to DMV and took a number. Right next to the number dispenser was a sign saying cash only. Oh no, I don't have enough cash in my purse to pay the fee. Then they called number 70, we had 74. Whew! I had enough time to leave and find an ATM before our number would be called. Miriya was doubtful. Obviously she hasn't had much experience with DMV. Sure enough, I came back flush with cash just as they were calling 73. When we got up to the window I had to sign my life away saying I would be financially responsible for any wreck that she caused. Then they verified my address. I told them and they asked again. I said it louder, I guess they hire deaf people at DMV. No, turns out, when they printed my driver's license they made a typo in the house number. How stupid is that? Now they wanted proof that I lived at the address I said I did. If I had known before hand I could have just rattled off the address on my license which is just one number away from the real address and no one would be wiser. What a mess. I brought in the car registration with the correct address. Nope, no deal. the insurance card? Won't work either. Don't you have the car title in the glove box? Um, no. Wouldn't that be a golden opportunity for a thief? What about an old bill? No, despite what Tom thinks, I don't keep trash in my car, nor do I pay bills while driving. (I'm pretty sure that falls under the heading of being distracted and after studying the driver's handbook with Miriya, I realize that I am in danger of having my license suspended. See the previous post.) Finally, after a long talk with the supervisor, they let her get her license. What a rigamarole.
It was a little touch and go when we got down to DMV and took a number. Right next to the number dispenser was a sign saying cash only. Oh no, I don't have enough cash in my purse to pay the fee. Then they called number 70, we had 74. Whew! I had enough time to leave and find an ATM before our number would be called. Miriya was doubtful. Obviously she hasn't had much experience with DMV. Sure enough, I came back flush with cash just as they were calling 73. When we got up to the window I had to sign my life away saying I would be financially responsible for any wreck that she caused. Then they verified my address. I told them and they asked again. I said it louder, I guess they hire deaf people at DMV. No, turns out, when they printed my driver's license they made a typo in the house number. How stupid is that? Now they wanted proof that I lived at the address I said I did. If I had known before hand I could have just rattled off the address on my license which is just one number away from the real address and no one would be wiser. What a mess. I brought in the car registration with the correct address. Nope, no deal. the insurance card? Won't work either. Don't you have the car title in the glove box? Um, no. Wouldn't that be a golden opportunity for a thief? What about an old bill? No, despite what Tom thinks, I don't keep trash in my car, nor do I pay bills while driving. (I'm pretty sure that falls under the heading of being distracted and after studying the driver's handbook with Miriya, I realize that I am in danger of having my license suspended. See the previous post.) Finally, after a long talk with the supervisor, they let her get her license. What a rigamarole.
Miriya asked to drive home. By the time we were done it was dark and had started raining. Should she get to drive? Nah, she needs to practice in the parking lot first. Tom and I made a deal. I would take care of DMV and he would take care of teaching.
Tom took Miriya out yesterday afternoon. They went to an empty parking lot. Good thing they didn't start at a cemetery. Miriya had a hard time staying in between the lines. Tom came home with whiplash and dashboard between his teeth. It appears that she had a hard time with the accelerator and the brake too. She also had a hard time turning the car. What is going on? Miriya was only turning the wheel 180 degrees and then stopping. Of course the car couldn't complete an entire turn with only that amount of steering wheel movement. You've got to keep turning the wheel to make the car turn more. Really? They don't do that on cartoons or on MarioKart, was her serious reply.
I think I got the better deal.
I think I got the better deal.












2 comments:
Congratulations to Miriya. I will not laugh at her first driving attempt, however. I used to laugh at all the funny things your kids did and then I figured out that my kids will go through the same phase and then it isn't funny anymore...karma.
Congratulations to Miriya! She has gone thru a rite of passage to becoming an adult. How exciting. and now she can run errands for you. Pretty cool!
Post a Comment