Sunday, May 16, 2010

Father and Sons

On Friday Tom took Taylor, Isaac and Nicholas to the stake Father and Sons campout. We have all been looking forward to it, especially me and Miriya because we will finally have an opportunity to do girl things together. Usually when Tom leaves it is with the scouts and so he leaves Isaac and Nicholas at home. I know you might find it unusual, but it is really hard to go get a pedicure with your daughter when there is a 3 year old and a 1 year old running around. Anyway, we sent the boys off and Miriya and I got our pedicures, a dinner at an Indian restaraunt and then watched a chick flick together. It was really nice to get to talk with her without constantly being interuppted or having to stop to avert certain disaster. We even got to sleep in the following morning because there was no clamor of little boys wanting breakfast at 6:30 AM.
Now, for the really interesting part: (Watch out, rant ahead) Tom was at the Father and Sons campout with all of his sons, by his own choice. He was amazed that in the entire stake there were only 3-4 kids that were Isaac's age and none that were Nick's age. He kept getting comments like, "I can't believe you dare bring your little guy camping. " "You sure are brave to bring an 18 month old." and worst of all: " My wife would never allow me to bring our 1.5 year old." What?!!! Are these your sons? Are you their father? Is this the father AND sonS campout? Nick skipped last year because he was nursing, but what would hold him back this year? Does this mean that you only have to be a father when it is convenient or easy? If it is too much work then just leave the kids at home? Do some wives really not trust their husbands? If so, then why not? Are the husbands irresponsible dopes or are they just tricking their wives by being lazy and inept? Are the wives just control freaks who don't want their kids to ever get dirty or a skinned knee? I am utterly amazed and speechless at these attitudes. It really concerns me that it wasn't just one or two people that made these comments. That means that the whole mindset is more pervasive than I ever thought. It also illustrates how wonderful of a guy I am actually married to. I am so thankful that he takes his parenting seriously and is willing to perform his parental responsibilities even if it is hard or inconvenient. He loves ALL his sons, even the ones that run around and eat dirt. He is a parent 24/7 not just when I allow it or when it doesn't interfere with his own fun. Thank you Bev for raising an equal opportunity son.

1 comment:

bamatamb said...

I love this post--I totally agree!