Thursday, June 11, 2009

Curiouser and curiouser

There are a lot of crazy things in Japan. Our hotel room came with a breakfast buffet every morning. It was supposed to be a western as well as a Japanese breakfast. Actually, it was more Japanese than western. They eat things that I never would have guessed were edible. I just happened to be walking by a plate of small octupi (plural for octupus, right?) when an old Japanese lady nearly mowed me down to grab them all for herself. Little did she know that I was really no competition for that plate. Another thing that is interesting in Japan is their toilets. I know, I don't want my blog to be the poo chronicles, but these toilets are amazing. It took a while to figure them out because the instructions are in Japanese, but after messing around, we figured it out. Here is a picture so you can get an idea. Sorry the shot is foggy, we took it right after we showered so the bathroom was still steamy. Note the close up of the controls.


Anyway, this toilet has a heated seat that you can adjust the temperature from lukewarm to scorch your buns. It also has controls for wash, rinse and dry. After you do your business you just press the buttons to clean up. It actually blows air on your buns. Plus, there is a fan that blows while you are using the toilet to keep down the smell. The extra suprising thing is that this kind of toilet was found in all of the public restrooms. From the airport to the park, Japanese all over are blow drying their buns. I laughed at first, but then I went in the bathroom after Tom had used it and was amazed. If I could have fit one into the suitcase I would have brought it home to install in our bathroom.

1 comment:

Johanna said...

Okay... How about this: I went to Japan and all I got was this shot of a toilet? I'm glad you finally made it there. I have to say I'm a little surprised that you didn't at least try the octopi.