Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Kayaking

Sometimes I worry that the older kids are getting shortchanged because we have 2 babies after a very long gap. A lot of the activities that we used to do before the babies came, (mountain biking, laser tag, rafting) we can no longer do with the babies in tow. Miriya especially gets the short end of the stick since they don't do any of those things in Young Womens. Taylor and Tom have all kinds of fun caving and rock climbing in scouts. Miriya just got home from girls camp where there were horses to ride but no one was allowed to ride them. There were canoes to row around the lake but the leader was afraid the girls would get hypothermia, so no go on that either. I was thoroughly disgusted and so hired a baby sitter to watch the babies while us 4 older members rented kayaks and paddled down the Little Miami River. We were originally going to canoe but then decided at the last minute to upgrade to kayaks. We love to canoe and Tom and I actually took to a white water canoe class in college. Once we got on the kayaks, though, it was wonderful. I am a new fan. They are so mobile, you can go anywhere in those things. No more running into driftwood or rocks. Those kayaks zoom anywhere you want. Miriya did tip once on some mild rapids but everyone else only went in the water when they wanted to. We swung on a rope swing and jumped off a cliff of barrels. Taylor and Tom even did tricks. Miriya and I were too scared to do anything crazy. We had a lot of fun and I think the older kids enjoyed leaving the younger ones at home for a while. Unfortunately we took the camera but not the batteries so no pictures of this outing.

No comments: