Sunday, June 14, 2009

New Tricks

Our kids have learned some new tricks over the past few weeks. First of all Miriya FINALLY got her braces off. She also got a haircut for summer. She is thrilled about her new smile and her new hairdo. She looks really nice.

Nick has learned a new trick: sitting up. He was trying to perfect the sit up while we were in Japan. He only wanted to sit upright in the stroller, if he was laying back at all he would just cry until you sat him back up. Since coming home he is able to remain sitting up for longer and longer. Now he only falls over if he overreaches for a toy. I am proud of his milestones but they also make me sad because he is transforming from a newborn to an older baby. Before I know it, I won't have a baby at all anymore.

Isaac has learned to lock doors. Evidently while Bev was over Isaac locked himself into our bedroom. There was no way to get him out without taking off the doorknob. He has done that little trick a few times now that I am home as well. The most recent episode occurred after I got home from a quick trip to the store where the older kids were supposed to be watching Isaac. They thought that he was in his bedroom napping because it was so quiet. When I went upstairs his bedroom was empty but Taylor's bedroom was locked. Usually Isaac will knock back on the door and laugh and laugh while you yell at him to unlock the door. But this time it was just silence. I got all kinds of upset. Taylor has so many small toys in his room I had it fixed in my head that he had put a toy in his mouth and was in the bedroom choking. (He doesn't even mouth toys anymore, I think I was being a little irrational. Hey, it happens when you can't find your child.) When we finally got the doorknob off and burst into the room we found Isaac asleep in Taylor's clothes basket. I was relieved, but had also had it. We reversed all the doorknobs in the house so Isaac can't lock himself into the bedrooms anymore. Now for the law of unintended consequences. Taylor can lock Miriya into her bedroom when she is not suspecting it. Hmmm, maybe we will need to change the closet and the bedroom doorknobs so no one can lock anything important.

No comments: