Thursday, June 4, 2009

Travel Mayhem

Whenever you take an airplane there is always the possibility of travel mahem. That is when your flight is delayed or canceled and then you have to scramble madly to rearrange your connections, rental car, hotel etc. Tom and I have been planning a trip to Japan ever since he found out he would be going back for business several months ago. Unfortunately, it was the last week of school and the kids would miss their final exams. Plus we already used our school allotment of vacation days, so the older kids would not be coming on this particular trip. Anyway, we hired Gramma Bev to come stay with the kids while Tom, me and Nick were gone. While en route, Bev experienced some travel mayhem. It resulted in a delay of her arrival in Dayton by one day. Plus she was stuck in Denver for a night. Thank goodness it was the airline's fault and they put her up in a hotel for a night. Then, as if that weren't enough, a nexus of events came together (OK, it would have all probably worked out OK if I had left earlier that morning.) that resulted in me missing my outbound flight for Japan. I was unable to rebook in time to make my connection. Again another day lost. Luckily (if you can call it that faced with these events) I was still in Dayton so I just went back home and left earlier the next morning. The really tough part came when I had to call Tom and tell him that I had missed my flight and that it was my own dang fault. I was all set for the requisite, "I told you so." but Tom spared me. I suppose that he recognized that I was already near tears anyway. He just welcomed me to Japan a day later. Hopefully there will be no more travel mayhem. I think that is more than enough for one trip.

No comments: